Sunday, September 7, 2008

Arte y cultura

This weekend was dedicated to arts and culture. Following my friend Carlos' culture initiative we started our Friday night in a - as it seems - for many people rather astonishing way: together with a group of Carlos' friends, we paid a visit to the MACBA, the Museum of Contemporary Art of Barcelona, featuring an exhibition by Spanish installation artist Francesc Torres. Parts of it were excellent, others - along with the permanent exhibition - were a bit too contemporary to my taste. Take a seat on this chair and remain seated until death separates you???


Never mind, enlightenment might strike me one day. And our stop on the wonderful terraza of the museum was more than worthwhile!



After the art we moved on to culture and continued the evening at a Basque tavern enjoying pintxos (similar to tapas) and drinks. On Saturday, we stayed cultural and went to our classmate Nitin's place, who had invited his fellow Indians (and their flatmates :-) to celebrate the birth of his little daugther in New Delhi. Congratulations again! The evening was a lot of fun, especially when the Indians started singing and dancing songs from Bollywood movies. A shame German culture doesn't offer anything comparable to contribute to such sing alongs...


Today, Shweta and I switched back to arts and pilgrimaged to the CCCB, the Center of Contemporary Culture of Barcelona that was hosting Magnum. 10 Sequences, an exhibition I had wanted to see since I read about it in June. Good thing we went. The exhibition explored the influence cinema has had on photographers from the famous Magnum agency, and I really liked it. Beautiful photographs, compelling displays, and amazing to see how much certain directors, films or scenes have impacted the photographers' life and work. After this, I look forward to hopefully going back to the CCCB soon!

No comments: