Monday, March 2, 2009

Doing Good & Doing Well

Have you ever asked yourself how businesses can help to make our world better? How not-for-profit organizations obtain financing? How nonprofits and non-governmental organizations compete? And what contributions you can make?

These and many other questions were the focus of the Doing Good and Doing Well Conference that took place at IESE last week. DGDW is a two-day student run conference on responsible business and one of the school's landmarks - this year almost 700 people participated with speakers from all over the world! Really cool event with interesting panels and inspiring keynotes.

While I gained a lot of insights about humanized ways of doing business, starting your own business and impressive personalities in that field, two things I heard during the conference got me thinking on a personal level: "If you feel comfortable in what you are doing you are not moving fast enough" and "Don't give up making a life in order to make a living". Both true in very different ways - but can these two be combined? I think I will chew on that for a while...

No comments: