And off I went. After some last transactions in Munich (many thanks at this point to my brother Andi and his girlfriend Marina for their angelic patience while experiencing how I sent off last admin e-mails, gave back my company car etc.) I made it to my train on time - even before time actually. Totally "avant l'heure", as my friend Simon would say! Believe it or not: that's part of my new job description. Oui oui, I will be a "avant l'heure" traveller. Which I think makes perfect sense given that I start my trip in Switzerland where people are known to be even more on time than in Germany!
So I hopped on the train in Munich and changed trains several times - on time - before arriving in the little town of Sierre in the heart of the Upper Valais to meet my dear friend Muriel - on time! Muriel and I had spent an Erasmus semester together in Italy and she had always spoken about her home in the mountains (and about the "vacche che si battono" - fighting cows, but that's a different story), so I had decided that I finally needed to see those mountains! Well, and cows as a matter of fact.
Let me tell you I have not been disappointed. I have spent most of yesterday wandering around the picturesque town of Sion and enjoying the peaceful life of the cantonal capital. With the hot temperatures and impeccable sunshine the town has a distinct Mediterranean feel, which is still enhanced by the surrounding vineyards. And wherever you go, you can always catch a glimpse of the beautiful mountains that surround the valley! After Muriel's work we continued to enjoy the dolce vita with an extended apéro in a great garden café in Sierre followed by delicious dinner Muriel cooked and excellent wine one of her friends brought. Can it get any better than that?
Today, some more mountains are on the program - this time "the real thing". Meaning we will drive up to the mountain village of St Luc, take the funicular to the top station and hike to some mountain lakes where we will stop for picnic. Unfortunately the weather is cloudy and somewhat chilly today, but that can't stop us - let's just keep our fingers crossed it doesn't rain. Am excited and curious whether we will see any of those fighting cows!
Thursday, July 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment