Monday, October 27, 2008

Phew...

Did we know what to expect when quitting our previous lives and moving to Spain to become students again? Maybe. Why did we still come? I guess we were missing some vital information - especially lacking awareness of how this student life would not have much in common with our sweet years during college...

The reason why you find me writing this is that we had to hand in our first paper this morning - a beautiful case for Analysis of Business Problems about an automotive supplier who needed to decide whether to open up plants in the UK or Hungary or both. And believe it or not, this thrilling question has kept our brains going and fingers typing for most of the weekend. Invest in Hungary and get a private equity fund on board? Go to the UK and increase dependency on the main customer? Or not do anything at all and risk losing all major customers? Aaaaaahhhhh...

The worst thing is, during all this we had the most beautiful sunshine and did not have time to even think about all the wonderful things we could have done to dutifully enjoy the weather and the weekend... So everyone who has been envying me of me moving to Barcelona: you can stop being jealous now. There is really not much reason.

To be fair, I have to say that my fatigue is not tremendously helping my mood tonight. During the weekend, I was rather good at keeping a positive spirit and I even treated myself to three mini-breaks: gym on Saturday morning, delicious pizza on Saturday night to celebrate my classmate Tim's birthday, and a fantastic concert of the Russian National Symphony Orchestra playing Tchaikovsky and Korsakov at the Palau de la Musica, a beautiful Art Nouveau concert hall in Barcelona's old town, on Sunday night.

It was only today after handing in my paper that my cheery mood gradually began to swing over. At 9:45 a.m. when our Decision Analysis class started, all was good. Had to wake up my seat neighbor twice and prevent him from falling asleep again, but otherwise the lecture was fun. By 11:15 when Managing People in Organizations kicked off, first signs of fatigue appeared and I struggled to find the professor interesting, but I managed to keep up. At 12:30, I went for lunch and sat down afterwards to read my case for the afternoon session on Marketing Management - when exhaustion hit me in full swing and I started to feel sick. Consequently the following class was pure suffering, which is why I went home right after and allowed myself a nap. Since then, I have been doing my homework for tomorrow and trying to figure out when to actually study for our midterm exams. Right, we also have midterms coming up next week. With basically no time to prepare. Happy times. Anyway, I am going to bed now - after some sleep the sun will rise again tomorrow!

No comments: